Sweet Hickory Smoked Ribs Recipe (3-2-1 Method)
This recipe utilizes the classic “3-2-1” technique for smoking ribs. It calls for Morgan’s Carolina Q’ Sweet Hickory BBQ Sauce, the Grill Master’s Choice item from our May 2022 box, Smoke & Spice, for a sweet and savory finish.
Note: If using baby back ribs, this technique will result in fall-off-the-bone ribs. If you prefer your ribs to have some snap, shorten or skip the two hour wrapping method (or substitute with spare ribs).
Don’t have any Morgan’s Carolina Q’ Sweet Hickory Sauce? Click here to buy directly from Morgan’s.
SPECIAL OFFER FROM MORGAN’S: Use promo code GRILLMASTER at checkout for FREE SHIPPING on “Three Pigs in a Bottle” package! Click Here
Sweet Hickory Smoked Ribs (3-2-1 Method) feat. Morgan's Carolina Q'
- ½ cup Carolina Sweet Hickory Sauce by Morgan's Carolina Q' BBQ Sauces (May 2022 featured product)
- 1 rack Pork Baby Back Ribs (or sub spare ribs)
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ⅓ cup Honey
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Your Favorite BBQ Dry Rub
Optional Dry Rub Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
- Preheat smoker to 225 °F.
- Remove the silverskin layer from the back of your ribs.
- Rub both sides of ribs with olive oil, then generously apply your dry rub (or make your own: 2 parts brown sugar, 1 part salt, 1 part pepper, 1 part paprika, 1 part granulated garlic)
- Place ribs on smoker bone side down and smoke for 3 hours at 225 °F.
- Remove ribs and prepare to wrap them: Place ribs bone-side down on large piece of aluminum foil. Liberally coat entire rack with honey; place a knob of butter every 3 inches. Fold the edges up, then pour some apple cider vinegar over the rack. Tightly fold the foil to create a seal.
- Return ribs to smoker BONE SIDE UP (so the butter will be on the bottom). Smoke an additional 2 hours at 225 °F for tender, fall-off-the-bone ribs.
- Remove ribs from smoker and unwrap. Return ribs to smoker, bone side down, baste with Morgan's Carolina Q’ Sweet Hickory Sauce, and smoke for an additional hour at 225 °F.
- Once the sauce has caramelized, remove the ribs. Let rest 5 minutes, then slice, serve and enjoy!