Mint & Basil Lime Cocktail with Smoked Ice Recipe
This recipe calls for Bold BBQ Smoke Ems™ by Bear Mountain BBQ, a product featured in our May 2022 “Smoke & Spice” box., but you can substitute any wood chips you have handy. We really like Smoke Ems™ because they’re extremely convenient, providing 45 minutes of true barbecue smoke flavor in every packet…and on any type of grill.
Video: How to Use BBQ Smoke Ems™ Wood Chip Packets from Bear Mountain BBQ
About Bold BBQ Smoke Ems™ by Bear Mountain BBQ
Adding up to 45 minutes of natural hardwood smoke, Bold BBQ Smoke Ems™ by Bear Mountain BBQ are small but mighty packets that ideal for life on the go.
Use Smoke ‘Ems on your backyard gas grill, or while camping and tailgating, to add the perfect touch of 100% wood smoke to those delicious meals on the grill. Use with all outdoor gas, charcoal or electric grills.
Don’t have any Smoke Ems left? Use promo code GRILLMASTER to save 20% at BearMountainBBQ.com, or substitute with whatever wood chips you have handy.
Mint & Basil Lime Cocktail with Smoked Ice feat. Bold BBQ Smoke Ems™ by Bear Mountain BBQ
- Ice Tray
- 1 packet Bold BBQ Smoke Ems™ by Bear Mountain BBQ (featured box item)
- 2 oz Mezcal
- 3-4 Limes
- ½ oz Agave Nectar
- 8 oz Water (1 cup)
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Mint
- Preheat your grill and place Bold BBQ Smoke Ems™ directly over heat for 10-15 minutes to allow the packet to ignite and begin releasing real wood smoke.
- Ensure your grill temperature is below the boiling point of water (212 °F), otherwise you won't have anything left when you return!Then, place 1 cup of water inside your grill (in a baking sheet or pan that's safe for the grill) and keep closed for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 mins, remove cup of smoked water and pour into an ice tray. Place the ice tray into your freezer for 3-4 hours, or until frozen (obviously).
- Once your smoked ice is ready, begin assembling the cocktail by juicing 3 limes and cutting up one more for muddling/garnish.
- Place 8-10 fresh basil leaves and 6-8 mint leaves in a cocktail shaker. Add your lime wedges and 2 ounces of Mezcal or Tequila. Muddle well (muddling is crushing fruit, sugar and herbs to draw out flavors and help them mix with alcohol).Pro Tip: Before adding to your glass or cocktail shaker, place the basil and mint leaves in the palm of one hand and slap them with the other hand. This will wake the herbs up and release their aromas, making more an even flavorful experience.
- Add a half ounce of agave nectar, smoked ice cubes and lime juice.
- Shake vigorously and pour contents into serving glass. Add basil leaves and lime wheels for garnish.
- Repeat to make a cocktail for a friend, propose a toast and bottoms up!