Super Simple Smoked Turkey Recipe
Super Simple Smoked Turkey
Whether it is for the holidays or just a weekend cookout, a turkey is a great way to go. But if you are a BBQer, how do you prepare such a feast? We broke it down to its simplest form. A Super Simple Smoked Turkey Recipe.
- 1 12 pound
- whole turkey neck and giblets removed
- 1 20 pound
- bag high quality charcoal briquettes
- Hickory chips or chunks
- Place the charcoal into the bottom pan of the smoker. Light the coals and wait for the temperature of the smoker to come to 240 ˚F (115 ˚C). Lightly oil grate.
- Rinse turkey under cold water, and pat dry. Place hickory chips into a pan with water to cover. Season the turkey as desired.
- Place turkey onto the prepared grate. Add 2 handfuls of damp chips at the start of cooking, then a handful every couple of hours during the cooking process.
- Leave the lid on - do not keep checking on the turkey, or you will let the heat out!
- Continue smoking until the internal temperature of the turkey reaches 165 ˚F (74 ˚C)