State of the Union Smash Burger
When making smash burgers, the ground beef is first shaped into balls, which are then immediately pressed or “smashed” using a burger press into a thin patty before being placed on the grill. This results in more browning and taste on the outside of the patty while ensuring that the inside remains juicy.
Use promo code GMCBPB4L for 15% off your first order at BBQPitBoys.com. Valid thru 8/31/22.
State of the Union Smash Burger feat. BBQ Pit Boys Kansas City Smoke Rub
- In a bowl, mix together the Kansas City Smoke Rub, ground chuck, horseradish, dijon, Worcestershire, and chives. Mix thoroughly together, and form 8 equal sized meatballs.
- On your BBQ, heat up 2 cast iron pans, or a griddle until they are smokin hot!
- Sprinkle each meatball liberally with salt and pepper. When your pans are hot, place the meatballs onto the pans, or griddle, and smash them down with a flat spatula or the palm of your hand, (be careful!) into a burger shape.
- Cook on this side until you start to see a crispy crust forming on the outside. Lift gently with the spatula to make sure you get good caramelization on the bottom side.
- Flip the burgers over, and cook the other side. Press down slightly with the spatula.
- Remove the burgers when they are cooked. Internal temperature of 165 °F degrees F and set aside. Place cheese slices on the burgers and let melt slightly.
- Split the buns apart and place them into the pans open side down to absorb some flavor and get toasted.
- Dress the buns any way you like and enjoy!