Peri-Peri Buffalo Chicken Wings
Has someone mentioned chicken wings? Certainly did! Compared to standard Buffalo wings, these Peri-Peri Buffalo chicken wings are a little bit healthier. They are gently sprinkled with flour, African Dream Foods Habanero Chili Salt, Safari Smoke Seasoning, and other seasonings before being lightly grilled as opposed to fried.
They’re then tossed in buffalo-style sauce made with butter and our flavorful African Dream Foods Lemon & Garlic Peri-Peri Sauce. The high-fat sour cream dip is also replaced with a blue cheese yogurt dip. You better get the napkins ready! These messy wings are delicious!
African Dream Foods' Peri-Peri Buffalo Chicken Wings
FOR THE PERI- PERI BUFFALO CHICKEN WINGS:
- 4 Oz Lemon & Garlic Peri-Peri
- 2 Tbsp Lane’s Spellbound Rub
- 2 1/2 Lbs Chicken Wings
- 1 Tbsp Butter or pork lard (for greasing)
- 2 Tbsp Habanero Hot Sauce
- 2/3 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter
- 2 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tsp Honey
FOR THE YOGHURT DIP:
- 3/4 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tsp Blue Cheese (add more if desired)
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 3/4 Tsp White Wine Vinegar
- A pinch of Salt
- Prepare the wing sauce: Add the Lemon & Garlic Peri-Peri sauce, butter, Worcestershire sauce, and honey to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer over a low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Prepare the yogurt sauce: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside, or in the refrigerator.
- Preheat your grill to 425 °F.
- Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels. Cut the tips from the chicken wings; separate the drumette and flat by cutting into the joint.
- Add the chicken wing pieces to a large mixing bowl. Add Lane’s Spellbound Rub and habanero hot sauce, and mix thoroughly.
- Add flour to the mixing bowl, using your hands to completely coat all of the chicken.
- Grill wings directly over high heat (425 °F), flipping the wings every 3-5 minutes until reaching an internal temperature of 175 °F.
- Toss the grilled wings in your Peri Peri wing sauce and serve with yogurt dip. Because the wings have a kick, serve with slices of avocado, carrots and celery.
FOR THE YOGURT DIP:
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.NOTES:- You can grill the tips with the drumettes and flats, or keep them in the freezer to use for a chicken stock.- Make sure your Peri-Peri Buffalo Wings are cooked through by using a meat thermometer. Grill until they reach an internal temperature of 170-175 degrees F. You'll like the soft chicken flesh on these wings, which are at a temperature that makes the bones come right off.- The honey tempers the heat from the ADF Lemon & Garlic Peri-Peri Sauce. If you want a milder heat, add more honey. If you like more punch, you can use less honey or even leave it out.- For a hotter option, replace the ADF Lemon & Garlic Peri-Peri Sauce with our ADF Ghost Peri-Peri Sauce.- Because the wings are quite spicy, it’s a good idea to serve them with slices of avocado, and carrot and celery sticks. You can also serve these with fries seasoned with ADF Smoked Chipotle Salt.