Old Pit St. Louis Ribs
These St. Louis Style Ribs are dry-rubbed with a spicy, salty blend of toasted spices, smeared with mustard, then grilled in the oven or on the grill. St Louis ribs with apple mop sauce are rich and luscious!
Red Dirt Rich BBQ Old Pit St. Louis Ribs
The Style of St. Louis Ribs are juicy and tender. They're fatty and flavorful, and grilling them is a breeze! The meat will slip off the bone and melt in your tongue if you use the appropriate spice and technique.
- Cooker, Smoker, Grill
- Favorite Lump Charcoal (Wood Chips or Wood)
- 2 Slabs St. Louis Style Ribs (2 or more Slabs)
- 1 Bottle
Red Dirt Rich BBQ Old Pit Dust Rub
- 1/4 Cup Butter (Can also use Liquid Butter)
- Your favorite sauce
- Flip the ribs, so that the bones are facing up. Using a paper towel, pull off the membrane and discard.
- Trim off the flap of meat on the backside. Trim and remove any excess fat. Rub both sides generously with Red Dirt Rich BBQ Old Pit Dust Rub. Let rest in the fridge while you heat your cooker up to 250F
- Place the ribs on the cooker meat side up or on a Rib Rack Large Side up. Smoke with the lid closed for 3 hours.
- Place two sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil on the counter. Top with 4-5 pats or a good squirt of butter, and a dash of Old Pit Dust Rub, Red Dirt Place the ribs on the butter, meat side down. To the bone side of the ribs, add 4-5 more pats butter and a dash of Old Pit Dust Rub, Red Dirt, Wrap tightly, crimping up the ends.
- Place back on the smoker for 2 hours at 200 F +/-
- Remove from the smoker, and unwrap from the foil. Flip the ribs over. Brush with sauce or dust with Old Pit Dust Rub, Red Dirt if you choose and return to the smoker for ½ hour as needed.
- Remove from the smoker. Let rest a few minutes and slice.