Gayle’s California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe
Gayle’s is the original BBQ Sauce that started the barbecue chicken pizza and salad craze across America, after being the chosen barbecue sauce for California Pizza Kitchen’s BBQ chicken pizza and salads!
For over 30 years, the BBQ chicken pizza and BBQ chicken salad have been California Pizza Kitchen’s #1 selling item on their menu across the country and abroad.
Gayle’s Infamous BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 3 cups Gayle's Sweet 'N' Sassy BBQ Sauce (featured box item)
- 5 Boneless / Skinless Chicken Breasts
- ½ cup Italian Fontina cheese (shredded)
- 1 ½ cups Smoked Gouda cheese (shredded)
- 1 Sweet Red Onion (very thinly sliced and separated into rings)
- ¼ cup Fresh Cilantro or Oregano
- 1 Pizza Dough (make your own or use your favorite frozen one)
- Olive Oil
Marinate the chicken:
- Combine chicken and 1 cup of Gayle's Sweet 'N' Sassy BBQ Sauce in a bowl and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours ( or as long as overnight). Return chicken to room temperature before cooking.
Cook the chicken:
- Preheat over to 325°F.
- Place the marinated chicken in an ovenproof dish, cover with foil and cook about 30 minutes or until tender. After the chicken is cool, cut into bite sized pieces.
Prepare the dough and preheat the oven.
- Shape the pizza dough as directed in the basic recipe. Brush dough all over with olive oil, top with a layer of each of the cheeses, leaving a 1/2" border around the edges.
- Using the remaining 2 cups of Gayle's Sweet 'N' Sassy BBQ Sauce, spoon a layer of sauce over the cheeses.
- Arrange the chicken and onion rings on top, and drizzle evenly with olive oil.
- Transfer the pie to the preheated baking surface and bake as directed in the basic recipe.
- Remove from the oven to a cutting board and lightly brush the crust with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with cilantro or oregano, slice and serve immediately.