Classic Smashburgers Recipe
Perfect for your next cookout (Memorial Day is fast approaching!), these thin, diner-inspired smash burgers are kicked up a notch courtesy of the buttery goodness of The Backyard – Better Burger Seasoning, the Featured Dry Rub in our May 2022 box, Smoke & Spice.
Don’t have any Backyard – Better Burger Seasoning left? Use promo code GMCPS for 20% off at PSSeasoning.com (expires: 7/3/2022).
Classic Smashburgers feat. The Backyard – Better Burger Seasoning
- Mixing Bowl
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Spatula or Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl (for smashing the burgers)
- 1 tsp The Backyard Better Burger Seasoning (May 2022 featured dry rub)
- 1 ¼ lbs Ground Beef (try 80/20)
- 4 slices Muenster Cheese
- 4 oz Brown Ale
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- Kosher Salt (to taste)
- 4 Hamburger Buns or Kaiser Rolls (try brioche)
- In a mixing bowl, add ground beef and mix in The Backyard Better Burger Seasoning. Then, portion out eight 2.5 oz balls.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 2 burgers at a time: Place meatballs 3” apart in the skillet. Using a metal spatula or stainless steel mixing bowl, smash down each meatball to ¼” thickness and sear 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Place cheese on one patty, then top with the other. Transfer each smashed stack to a sheet tray while cooking remaining burgers.
- Add onions to skillet, being sure to scrape up any seared bits. Sauté for 2 minutes, then deglaze pan with beer. Continue to cook for 3 minutes, until beer is reduced and onions are caramelized. Stir in butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble each smashed burger: bottom bun, cheeseburger stack, caramelized onions, top bun.