Sweet BBQ Turkey Sloppy Joe Recipe
Mrs. Griffin’s Sweet BBQ Turkey Sloppy Joe Recipe
This Sloppy Joe alternative features healthier ground turkey and Mrs. Griffin's Sweet Barbecue Sauce as featured in a past Grill Masters Club box.
- Medium Skillet
- Paper Towels
- ½ cup Mrs. Griffins Sweet Barbecue Sauce (featured box item)
- 1 lb Ground Turkey (you could substitute chicken)
- 2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or your preferred cooking oil)
- 1 Large Red Onion (chopped coarsely)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (chopped coarsely)
- 1 tsp Oregano (crumbled)
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 8 oz Tomato Sauce (standard can size)
- ¼ cup Green Olives (chopped)
- 4 Hard Rolls, Split (you could substitute hambuger rolls)
- Heat a medium size non-stick skillet over MEDIUM heat.
- Add ground turkey and brown it, breaking the meat with a spoon until no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
- Place ground turkey in a colander to drain and set aside. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels.
- Heat oil in skillet over MEDIUM heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, oregano, cumin and chili powder. Cook, covered, for about 6 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add turkey, tomato sauce, Mrs. Griffin's Sweet Barbecue Sauce and olives. Bring to a simmer, cook 5 minutes.
- To serve, heat turkey mixture to a simmer. Serve on rolls and enjoy!
- Note: This dish can be prepared two days ahead and refrigerated or frozen for up to one month.
Thanks to Mrs. Griffin’s Original Barbecue Sauce for this mouth-watering recipe!